With Poached Tofu and Crispy Kale Chips
As we all ease back into this shorter holiday week, I’ve got another simple weeknight dinner recipe for you! This vegan shakshuka can be whipped up in one skillet from a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, a package of silken tofu, and a few spices.
This shakshuka recipe is the type of plant-based meal that can be enjoyed at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is really simple and quick recipe that is absolutely jam packed with flavour.
- 1 1/2 cups Freekeh
- 2 Onions
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 8 ounces Red Kale
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Red Chile Flakes
- 2 cans Fire-roasted Tomatoes
- 2 packages Silken Tofu
- 1 bunch Cilantro Fresh
- 12 teaspoons Olive Oil 4 tbsp + 2 tsp
- 1 tablespoon Salt & Pepper To taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F (191 °C). Add the freekeh, 2 ½ cups water, and a pinch of salt to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook until all of the water is absorbed and the grains are tender about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Peel and slice the onions. Deseed and thinly slice the red bell peppers. Peel and slice the garlic. Destem the red kale and hand tear the leaves into large pieces.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 4 tbsp olive oil. Add the sliced onion and red bell pepper, reduce heat to medium and cook until soft, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and a pinch of the red chile flakes, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes and 1 cup water. Simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the red kale leaves to a baking sheet and toss with 2 tsp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Taste and season shakshuka sauce with salt and pepper. Open the silken tofu and gently scoop out dollops with a large spoon and drop them into the sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Chop the cilantro leaves and tender stems. Divide the freekeh between large plates and top with the shakshuka. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve with the crispy kale chips.