In my never ending quest to go eat vegan foods only, I had to make a vegan version of this classic Greek recipe.
Vegan-y Delicious Gyros & Tzatziki. Easy, 1-Bowl simple ingredients for Vegan Mushroom Gyro and Vegan Tzatziki.
Vegan Gyros & Tzatziki
Determined to have delicious Gyros, I made my own gyro spiced seitan and marinade. Especially smothered in Tzatziki sauce and served with Greek Styled Potatoes.
- 1 pound Gyro Seitan or seitan
- 1/2 Red Onion sliced
- 2 Tomatoes sliced
- 4 Pita Bread
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Lemon Juice
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Oregano chopped (2 teaspoons dried)
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Vegan Yogurt plain
- 1/4 cup Vegan Sour Cream Tofutti
- 3 tablespoon Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dill chopped (fresh/dehydrated)
- 2/3 cup Cucumber finely chopped (peeled & deseeded)
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1/2 Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine gyro marinade ingredients. Thinly slice gyro seitan then marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 8 hours.
- Drain finely chopped cucumber in a colander to remove excess liquid then combine with remaining Tzatziki ingredients. Refrigerate for 1 or more hours.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute gyro slices in skillet until browned on both sides, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side. Work in batches so not to crowd seitan in skillet.
- Warm pita in separate skillet or oven.
- Assemble gyros in pita with gyro seitan, tzatziki, sliced onions, and tomatoes. Serve with Greek-style potatoes.
GYROS: Gyros are one of the top 5 unofficial comfort foods of New York. *MAKE IT A COMBO: Served with greek styled potatoes, deliciousness awaits! **MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: Use my gluten-free flatbreads instead of pita bread. ***GREEK GYRO SEITAN & MARINADE: You can make the seitan yourself. Here’s the link for gyro seitan & marinade. ****HOMEMADE SEITAN: You can make the seitan yourself. Here’s the link for homemade seitan. *****SERVING: This recipe yields 15 grams of protein per serving.