This Italian wedding soup is vegan Italian sausage, vegetables, greens, and pasta all simmered together in a savory broth. The perfect way to warm up on a cold day!
I’ve never had traditional Italian wedding soup, but I always thought it was a cool idea, you know, except for the meat part. My mom made it a bunch of times when I was growing up, but always after I stopped eating meat, so I never got it to try it. But I did get her to talk me through the recipe so I could make a vegan version.
The main distinction in my recipe is that instead of the meatballs are I have used a vegan Italian sausage. You’ve got some fresh spinach, carrots, and little bits of Acini Di Pepe pasta. It’s super cozy and perfect for those chilly and rainy spring days.
This is a must-try recipe!
Italian Wedding Soup
- 2 Vegan Italian Sausages
- 2 tablespoon Dried Bread Crumbs
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Stalks of Celery
- 1 Small Yellow Onion
- 1/4 cup Cup White Wine optional
- 6 cups Chicken-Flavored Vegetable Broth
- 2/3 cup Acini Di Pepe Pasta
- 4 cups Fresh Spinach
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Cut vegan Italian sausages into 1/4 moon shape. Toss with dried bread crumbs then refrigerate while preparing vegetables.
- Chop onion, carrots, and celery. Chop fresh spinach to equal 4 cups.
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, saute sausage in a small amount of olive oil until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions, carrots, and celery, continue to saute for another 2 to 3 minutes adding a small amount of water to prevent sticking.
- Add white wine (optional) simmer for 1 minute to allow alcohol to burn off. Add chicken-flavored vegetable broth.
- Bring to boil then add Acini Di Pepe pasta. Boil uncovered 10 to 12 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in chopped spinach. Return to low boil for 2 minutes.
- Serve in bowls topped with vegan parmesan cheese.