More like a pizza “idea” than a recipe. Someone recently thought my BBQ portobello mushroom recipe looked like a pizza at first glance. As soon as someone mentions the word pizza, I have to have pizza. So, of course, I made BBQ portobello pizza.
Behold the mighty Portobello! With it’s majestic-looking appearance, it’s no wonder portobellos are the vegetable replacement of choice for meat in many dishes. Believe it or not, that satisfying rich, deep, earthy taste you get from mushrooms actually describes the fifth basic taste sensation (after sweet, salty, bitter and sour) called “UMAMI”.
Portobello mushrooms make the most delicious (and healthy) pizza “crust.” It has all the flavours of a good pizza…without the guilt! using portobello mushroom caps for a pizza crust, these pizzas are quick and easy to make, low carb and ready in less than 30 minutes!
The meaty texture of portobello mushrooms makes a hearty canvas for any toppings and helps you get your five-a-day veggie servings.
BBQ Portobello Pizza
- 4 caps Portobello Mushroom
- 1 bottle BBQ Sauce of Choice
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Fresh Pineapple diced
- 1/4 Viladilla Onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup Vegan Mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup Vegan Cheddar shredded
- 1 Pizza Dough of Choice
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice mushrooms about 1/4" thick. Toss with olive oil then bake on a cookie sheet (in a single layer if possible) for 15 minutes.
- Toss mushrooms in 1/4 cup BBQ sauce then continue to bake for another 5 to 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 475°F and heat pizza stone (if using) for 30 minutes before baking pizza.
- Assemble pizza on a pizza slip(if using a pizza stone) by brushing dough with olive oil. Spread sauce over dough.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Top with mushrooms, pineapple then onions.
- Bake 11 to 13 minutes. Drizzle with BBQ sauce before cutting and serving.