Over Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Yum! We know soup is the ultimate comfort food with lentils and
immune supportive mushroom and an abundance of fresh herbs, what’s not to like?
Easy and delicious instantpot recipe packed full of nutrients.
Consider this your go-to dish when comfort food is on the brain. Not only is it hearty and satisfying, it’s also simple, requiring just simple basic ingredients and 45 minutes to make (from start to finish). Let’s comfort food!
Lentil Mushroom Stew Over Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil Or 1/4 cup broth
- 1/2 Onion Medium & chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic Finely chopped
- 10 ounces Slice Mushroom mix of Cremini, White and Portabello
- 1/4 cup Red Wine
- 3/4 cup Sliced Carrots Or any veggies of choice
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme 1 tsp if dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Sage
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 3/4 cup Brown Lentils Uncooked
- 2 teaspoon Tomato Paste
- 3/4 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 2 cups Water Or Veggie Broth
Sweet Potato Mash
- 12 ounces Sweet Potatoes Cubed or regular potatoes
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1/4 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt Add more if necessary
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Dried/Fresh Thyme To Taste
- Start the instant pot on saute. Add oil, when hot add onion and garlic and cook for a minute. Then add the mushrooms and a good pinch of salt and cook for 3 minutes, add the wine and mix well and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Cancel saute, add the carrots dry lentils, salt, herbs, tomato paste, water or broth and give it a good mix. (addtional flavors: add 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary or dried oregano. Add a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce)
- Place a steamer basket over the lentil mixture and add cubed sweet potato to the basket. Close the lid. Pressure cook for 11-14 minutes, longer for older, green lentils (Stove top instructions in the notes).
- Let pressure release naturally. Open the lid, remove the steamer basket. Transfer the steamed sweet potatoes to a bowland mash with a fork.
- Add the salt, garlic, thyme, pepper and extra virgin olive oil and mix well. Taste and adjust the flavor if needed. (If using regular potatoes, add a few tablespoon of non dairy milk).
- Taste and adjust the lentil stew in instant pot and add salt if needed, add a good dash of black pepper. You can also fold in some baby spinach and 1/3 cup green peas at this point.
- Serve the stew over mashed sweet potatoes. Garnish with fresh herbs and black pepper. You can also add toasted breadcrumbs and olive oil garnish.