This Ratatouille recipe comes together quickly for a fresh weeknight dinner. It’s a light & fresh dish that’s gluten-free, vegan, and paleo.
Ratatouille is a classic flavor-packed veggie-filled dish that makes a lovely main course or a stunning side dish.
It’s not the fancy, complicated dish that the name sounds like. Oh, and it’s not a cartoon mouse either, as it is probably primarily known in the United States.
It’s a simple and casual dish that originated in France, probably as peasant food. The heart of the dish is stewed summer vegetables, with very little else, so the flavors of the peak-season vegetables shine through.
- 1 Eggplant
- 2 Zucchini
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Shallot
- 8 ounces Grape Tomatoes
- Fresh Parsley
- 1 Lemon
- 4 ounces Roasted Red Peppers
- 8 ounces Pasta
- Olive Oil
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Trim and quarter the eggplant lengthwise, then cut into ½ inch thick wedges. Lay on a towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with ½ tsp salt. Trim and cut the zucchini into half-moons. Peel and mince the garlic. Peel and thinly slice the shallot. Halve the tomatoes.
- Remove the towel from under the eggplant. Toss the eggplant in 2 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast, tossing halfway, until browned and tender, about 20 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp olive oil. Once hot, add the sliced shallot and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the chopped zucchini and minced garlic and cook until the zucchini is bright green and the garlic is aromatic about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the tomatoes release their juices and soften slightly about 4 to 6 minutes. Finely chop the parsley. Zest the lemon. Slice the roasted red peppers.
- Reserve 1/2 cup water from pasta and add to ratatouille. Drain pasta and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Add the eggplant, roasted red peppers, and cooked pasta to the ratatouille and gently toss to combine. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve pasta with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with chopped parsley, lemon zest and parmesan(optional).