As promised, here’s a simple and quick recipe for beef-flavored seitan.
Mix it up and simmer for 45 minutes and it’s ready to use/marinate for any application like bac’n & JUST egg breakfast sandwiches, Reuben sandwiches, mongolian beef or ground up for Bolognese sauce.
Oh, and it costs pennies to make. Win, win.
Homemade Beef-Flavored Seitan
- 3/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 1 tablespoon Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Celery Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 cup Beef-Flavored Vegan Broth
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Vegan Worchestire Sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Combine wet ingredients then mix into dry ingredients. Mix until dough forms. Knead dough 3 minutes in a stand mixer using the dough hook on speed (alternately knead by hand). Form loaf.
- Cover with a towel, let sit for 15 minutes.
- Bring 6 cups water or beef flavored vegan broth to boil. Wrap loaf loosely in parchment paper with ends twisted and folded under. Gently boil seitan loaf for 25 minutes.
- Unwrap loaf and return to a gentle boil for another 20 minutes.
- Remove loaf and place in a container of cold water seasoned with 2 Tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos or soy sauce. Refrigerate.
- Ready to use when completely cooled.