With Saffron Rice, Swiss Chard & Chimichurri
Hearty and filling Spanish-Style White Bean Stew, perfect for cold winter days! White beans, saffron rice, swiss chard, chimichurri, and herbs make this delicious bean soup a cool weather classic in a spectacularly healthy way!
When the weather turns cold, and all you want to do is stay cozy and warm, the best thing to do is to make a big pot of hearty soup. On days like these, nothing is more comforting than this white bean soup.
This soup will definitely make you addicted!
Spanish-Style White Bean Stew
- 3/4 cup Saffron Rice
- 1 can Cannellini Beans
- 5 ounces Swiss Chard
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Shallot
- 1 teaspoon Paella Seasoning
- 1 bunch Parsley Fresh
- 1 bunch Cilantro Fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano Dried
- 1 tablespoon Capers
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Lemon
- 5 tablespoons Olive Oil Extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon Salt & Pepper To taste
- Combine the saffron rice, 1 1/4 cups water, and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is tender about 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse and dry the produce.
- Drain and rinse the cannellini beans. Thinly slice the Swiss chard stems and roughly chop the leaves. Peel and mince the garlic. Peel and mince the shallot.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp olive oil. Once hot, add half of the garlic and half of the shallot, and a pinch of salt, and cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped Swiss chard stems to the large pot and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add the paella seasoning, cannellini beans, 3 cups water, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Bring stew to a simmer while you make the chimichurri.
- Finely chop the parsley leaves. Finely chop the cilantro leaves and tender stems. Add the parsley, cilantro, dried oregano, and capers to a medium bowl along with the remaining shallot and garlic. Add the red wine vinegar, 3 tbsp olive oil, and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir chimichurri well to combine.
- Add the Swiss chard leaves to the simmering stew, and cook until the greens have wilted about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Halve the lemon, and add juice from half to the stew. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Cut the remaining lemon half into wedges.
- Ladle the Spanish-style white bean stew into large bowls. Top with saffron rice and drizzle with chimichurri. Serve with lemon wedges.