In need of a healthy 35-minute meal? Look no further than this Simply Delicious Vietnamese Caramelized Tofu, Noodles & Slaw!
This Simply Delicious Vietnamese Caramelized Tofu, Noodles & Slaw has tender rice noodles, caramelized tofu, raw vegetables, and lots of crunchy peanuts. The whole thing is topped with fresh herbs and a tangy-salty dressing.
Savory caramelized tofu served with noodles and slaw for a quick, easy, and healthy lunch.
This Simply Delicious Vietnamese Caramelized Tofu, Noodles & Slaw is DELICIOUS!!
Caramelized Tofu, Noodles & Slaw
- 1 block Extra-Firm Tofu drained & pressed
- 1/4 cup Turbinado Sugar
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Shallot minced
- 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 6 ounces Rice Noodles
- 1 – 2 Carrots shredded
- 1 Green Onion sliced
- 1/2 ounce Cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup Peanuts roughly chopped
- 3 ounces Red Cabbage
- 3 ounces Green Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Oil I used avocado oil
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Rinse in cool water, set aside.
Toss carrots, cilantro, red and green cabbage with rice vinegar in a medium bowl, set aside.
- While noodles are cooking, in a small saucepan add 1/4 cup water and sugar. Cook over medium heat, gently swirling pan occasionally until the sugar melts and the mixture smells of caramel, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp of oil, shallot, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in 3/4 cup of water, soy sauce, 1 tsp of the cornstarch, and 1/8 tsp of black pepper.
- Return the saucepan to low heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, approximately 10 minutes.
- Halve the tofu lengthwise and then cut each piece into 8 sticks. Coat each stick in cornstarch. Put a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 Tbsp of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add tofu and cook undisturbed about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
- Serve noodles with coleslaw and tofu. Drizzle with caramel sauce, then sprinkle with peanuts and green onions. Serve extra caramel sauce on the side.