With Avocado & Tortilla Crisps
One of the most common complaints I get from moms is that their kids won’t eat their veggies. It can be an extremely frustrating experience, especially for parents who put a great deal of effort into cooking meals that their kids won’t eat. As dorky as it sounds, making mealtime easy and inspiring kids to love eating their veggies are part of my life’s mission.
This Simple Mexican Corn & Bean Stew is a great way to make both of those things happen. It takes 30 minutes to put this hearty dish together and it features a rainbow of nutritious veggies your kids are sure to love.
The soup is incredibly flavorful and while the cumin and chili powder might make you think it’s spicy, the taste is actually quite mellow.
While I can’t guarantee every child will become a vegetable lover after eating this soup, I’m pretty confident that at least the veggies in the bowls of this soup will disappear!
Simple Mexican Corn & Bean Stew
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 can Pinto Beans drained & rinsed
- 2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 10 ounces Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 cup Corn or 2 ears fresh corn, cooked
- 4 Yellow Corn Tortillas
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1 Avocado
- 2 tablespoon Cilantro chopped
- 1 Lime
- In a blender, combine 2.5 cups boiling water, chili powder, smoked paprika, chili pepper flakes,1 tsp of salt and 1 tortilla. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Place a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat with 2 tsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add the diced onion, minced garlic, cumin, dried oregano, and 1 tsp salt. Cook until the onion is translucent approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the pinto beans, crushed tomatoes, and corn to the pot. Add the tortilla mixture from the blender. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer soup over low heat.
- While stew simmering, slice the remaining tortillas into 1/2 inch thick strips. In a medium skillet, fry the tortilla strips in 1 Tbsp oil until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Halve the avocado. Remove pit and cut into cubes. Combine with cilantro leaves and juice from half the lime. Season with salt.
- Divide the tortilla soup between large bowls. Top with fried tortilla strips and diced avocado.