With Crispy Smoked Paprika Potatoes
Anything goes with tofu scrambles!
Tofu scrambles used to intimidate me. What goes into it? How do I cook it? Is there sauce involved? What if I’m afraid of turmeric? (Kidding but not kidding on the last one.)
If you’re vegan, you don’t have to miss eggs, there are so many vegan recipes you can make and you won’t notice any difference. You won’t believe this Simple Chorizo Tofu Scramble is actually vegan.
This Mexican style scramble includes spicy vegan chorizo sausage I found at Trader Joe’s, crispy smoked paprika potatoes, Spanish onions, a rainbow of sweet peppers, fresh corn, cilantro then topped with avocado tastes like the traditional recipe, has less fat and is cholesterol-free.
Not so with his tofu scramble. It’s as simple as they come.
Chorizo Tofu Scramble
- 2 boxes Extra Firm Silken Tofu
- 6 ounces Vegan Chorizo Sausage
- 1 – 2 cups Cooked Red Potatoes quartered
- 2 ears Fresh Corn kernels removed
- 1 cup Sweet Peppers chopped
- 1/2 Spanish Onion chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Salt(Kala Namak) optional
- 1 teaspoon Vegan Butter
- Roughly mash tofu in a bowl. Season with Tumeric and a little salt and pepper.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tsp oil. Add potatoes and cook until slightly browned, season with salt and pepper. Add vegan butter and smoked paprika. Continue to cook until crispy, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from pan to a large bowl.
- Cook chorizo in the skillet until browned, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from pan and add to bowl with potatoes.
- Add a little oil to skillet. Cook onions, peppers, and corn until softened, approximately 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and add to bowl with potatoes and chorizo.
- Add a little oil to skillet and cook tofu undisturbed for 5 minutes. Stir and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for another 5 minutes. Add black salt (optional).
- Return potatoes, chorizo, and vegetables to skillet. Stir to combine and cook until heated through approximately 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in cilantro.
- Serve topped with avocado slices. Add vegan sour cream if desired.