With Caramelized Onions Pizza
This vegan caramelized mushroom pizza is to die for!
I say that as someone who doesn’t actually like the texture of mushrooms. But when they’re caramelized alongside onion and garlic, thrown atop the perfect pillowy pizza dough with a thick layer of garlic white sauce and topped with mozzarella?
Well, we’ve reached pizza nirvana, and you guys, it just so happens to be vegan there.
Bacon is simply a flavor that can be created with just about anything, however portobello mushrooms are my favorite vegetable to use.
This white sauce recipe is as basic as they get, and no cashews required!
Portobello Bac’n Spinach& Caramelized Onions Pizza
- 1.5 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 3 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 3/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 pound Portobello Mushrooms 1/4" slices
- 5-6 cups Spinach
- 2 Onions sliced
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1.5 tablespoon Flour
- 1 cup Plain Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Pizza Dough of choice
- 1 cup Vegan Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- Oil For Sauteing
- Preheat oven to 475°F. (Once the temperature is reached, place the pizza stone in the oven for 30 minutes before baking pizza.) In a large bowl, combine the smoked paprika, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and garlic powder. Whisk well to combine. Add the mushrooms to the marinade, and gently toss with your hands to evenly coat. Set aside for 30 minutes or more.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add the marinated mushrooms in batches. Sprinkle with salt, and cook until caramelized and crisp in places, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
- Add spinach to drippings in pan; sauté 2 minutes or until wilted. Place spinach in a colander, pressing until barely moist.
- Add 1 Tbsp vegan butter to the pan. Add onion and 2 teaspoons sugar to pan; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool.
- Melt 1 Tbsp vegan butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add flour and pepper, stirring with a whisk; cook for 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook stirring constantly with a whisk until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat then whisk in nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Let the white sauce cool for 10 to 15 minutes before using it.
- Assemble pizza by spreading white sauce over rolled out pizza dough. Top with shredded vegan mozzarella, followed by mushrooms, spinach, and onions. Bake in 475°F oven on preheated pizza stone for 10 to 12 minutes.