Pad See Ew – the popular Thai stir-fried noodles straight from the streets of Thailand made at home!
While Pad Thai is sweeter and nuttier, Pad See Ew is salty, balanced with a touch of sour and a wonderful chargrilled flavor that you can create at home!
This dish is what I would consider Thai fast food, right up there with all of our favorite takeout noodle dishes. It comes together quickly as long as all the ingredients are prepared ahead of time and ready to go into the wok!
Pad See Ew, which means “stir-fried soy sauce noodles” which is traditionally made with chicken, this version goes vegan with soy curls and JUSTEGG.
It is an extremely popular Thai street food meal and probably the most popular noodle dish at Thai restaurants in Western countries.
Pad See Ew
- 1/2 bag Soy Curls 4oz
- 7 ounces Wide Rice Stick Noodles
- 1 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Vegan Oyster Flavored Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vegan Fishless Sauce
- 2 teaspoon Soy Sauce tamari
- 2 teaspoon Rice Vinegar mirin
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Justegg
- 6 Stems Chinese Broccoli(gai lan) trimmed and stems separated from leaves, cut in 1" pieces
- In a bowl, soak soy curls in nearly boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry. I use my salad spinner to remove the liquid from them.
- Cook noodles according to packet directions, drain and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by combining soy sauces, oyster flavored sauce, fishless sauce, vinegar, sugar, and water. Mix well to dissolve sugar.
- In a large skillet/wok over high heat add 1 Tbsp of oil. Add garlic, cook 15 seconds. Add soy curls and stirfry until slightly browned approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add Chinese broccoli stems and continue to stirfry another 3 to 4 minutes; adding 1-2 Tbsp water then covering to steam veggies for 1 minute. Remove cover and add broccoli leaves, stirfry until just wilted approximately 2 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Push everything to sides of skillet, add JUSTEGG and scramble. Once the JUSTEGG is cooked combine mixture and remove from skillet. Wipe skillet clean.
- Return skillet to high heat with 2 Tbsp oil. Add noodles, toss then add sauce to coat noodles. Continue to cook Noodles and sauce until sauce begins to caramelize onto noodles, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Return soy curl and vegetable mixture to skillet and toss to combine. Serve immediately.