Great news! You can now have your favorite takeout meal without leaving the comforts of your home!
My kids are always begging me to take them to grab Chinese food. They are obsessed with orange chicken but I am never really sure what’s in it….especially if they get it from a drive-thru.
I wanted to create a version at home, made from scratch, with only ingredients I can pronounce. It still has the same incredible flavor they love. It’s definitely a win-win in our home.
Bonus: our version is pan-fried, which means it’s healthier but just as crispy as the deep-fried kind.
- 1 cup Rice Of Choice
- 1 tablespoon Minced Fresh Ginger
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Orange
- 3 tablespoon Tamari
- 1.5 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 3 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 1 package Gardeine Chick'n or 10 oz seitan
- 10 ounces Vegetables green beans, carrots
- 3 Scallions
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, slice green beans, carrots, and scallions. Peel and mince ginger & garlic. Zest and halve the orange. Juice the orange into a medium bowl and add the minced ginger, minced garlic, orange zest, tamari, rice vinegar, and turbinado sugar. Whisk the orange sauce to dissolve the sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, sesame seeds, 2 tbsp water, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the sliced seitan to the bowl and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add 1 Tbsp oil. Once hot, add carrots and green beans, stir fry 2 to 3 minutes. Add ¼ cup water. Cover and cook until crisp-tender, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Return skillet to stove over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add the seitan and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 to 6 minutes. Return vegetables to skillet. Add the orange sauce and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve orange chicken and vegetables over rice. Sprinkle with sliced scallions.