This copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana soup is so hearty and comforting. Zuppa Toscana is packed with kale and potatoes and topped off with a creamy broth. I’ve given this recipe a healthy makeover so that it’s vegetarian and vegan-friendly. Zuppa Toscana soup is sure to warm you up on chilly nights!
So! Today I bring you a delicious option in the form of this copycat version of the famous Olive Garden dish. My dad has looong been obsessed with their Zuppa Toscana soup … meaning I’ve been planning to recreate a lighter, healthier take for far far too long. A few years long to be exact.
Clearly I have a foolproof recipe creation system.
But! It’s finally here! Made with coconut milk, kale, and Yukon gold potatoes, this dreamy dish is easy, simple and only requires one pot!
And while there’s no sausage, bacon or heavy cream involved, it is still jam-packed with flavor. From a few simple ingredients – fennel seeds, soy sauce and vegan Worcestershire – that help to impart that sort of meaty, umami flavor found in the classic dish.
And between the combination of the three, I promise you that this really does taste like the original. Yesssss.
One Pot Vegan Zuppa Toscana
- 4 Hot Italian Beyond Sausage Links
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic minced
- 1/3 cup White Wine optional
- 4 cups Vegan Broth chick'n flavored
- 2 cups Water
- 2 pound Russet Potatoes cubed
- 1.5 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Bunch Kale destemmed & chopped
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon Arrowroot Powder or 1.5 Tbsp cornstarch
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
TVP Bac'n Bits
- 1/2 cup TVP
- 2 tbsp Tamari
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Water
- In a large pot or dutch oven, brown sausage in 1Tbsp olive oil, breaking up as it cooks, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from pot, and set aside.
- Saute onion in a little more oil until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add Italian seasonings and cook for 30 seconds to release aromatics. Add white wine if using and cook until alcohol dissipates, approximately 2 minutes, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add broth, water, potatoes, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes tender, approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in kale and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Wisk together coconut milk with arrowroot powder. Stir into soup and continue to cook until heated through and thickened, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return Beyond sausage to pot. Stir. Serve soup topped with TVP bac'n bits and grated vegan parmesan.
TVP Bac'n Bits
- Preheat oven to 225°F
- Combine ingredients except for TVP in a small pot. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and stir in TVP until well saturated.
- Bake on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, store refrigerated in a covered jar.