With Herbed Mayo
Love the ‘taste’ of bacon but not the calories, fat, cholesterol, growth hormones, antibiotics, carcinogens and terror from genetically modified pigs?
Try marinated and caramelized portobello mushroom “BLT’s” with herbed mayo instead. The steak of veggie burgers. Serve on a bun with lettuce, tomato
Everybody wins. Oh yeah!
Portobello Mushrooms Burger
- 4 Medium Portobello Mushrooms Stems removed
- 1 Medium Onion Cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 Whole Wheat Calorie Buns Lightly toasted
- 4 slices Tomato Thinly sliced
- 8 leaves Lettuce Add more if needed
- 1/4 cup Veganaise
- 1 bunch Parsley Fresh
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 teaspoon Salt & Pepper To taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and liquid smoke. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Place the mushroom caps in the bowl and toss with sauce, using a spoon to evenly coat. Then saute in a pan until caramelized.
- Heat the grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat. When hot, brush the grate with oil or lightly spray the grill pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the veganaise, parsley, and garlic cloves to create a herbed mayo.
- Spread the herbed mayo on the bottom of each bun and then top each with the portobello mushrooms.
- To finish, top the burger with the sliced tomato and lettuce then cover with the tops of buns and serve.