Seriously delicious vegan seitan gyros!
Anything they can make we can make vegan. This cruelty-free version will win you over!
These Greek Vegan Gyros are perfect for a quick and easy family dinner. Kids just love them!
Gyro Seitan & Marinade
This simple seitan recipe is perfectly spiced for vegan gyros. Marinade recipe included.
- 3/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1.5 tablespoon Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Beef-flavored Vegan Broth
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Bragg's Soy Sauce or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- Combine dry ingredients
- Combine wet ingredients then mix into dry ingredients. Mix until dough forms. Knead dough 3 minutes in a stand mixer using a dough hook on speed #2(Alternately knead by hand). Let sit for 10 minutes, then continue to knead for 2 additional minutes.
- Form loaf and wrap in parchment twisting ends.
- Bring 6 cups beef-flavored vegan broth, 3 bay leaves, and 4 peppercorns to a simmer. Simmer seitan loaf for 25 minutes, unwrap loaf and continue to simmer for another 25 minutes.
- Remove entire pot from the stove. Let gyro seitan cool completely in it's cooking liquid.
- Remove loaf to the container of cold water with 1 Tbsp Bragg's. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
SERVING: This recipe yields 39 grams of protein per serving.