With Cilantro-Lime Slaw & Chipotle Crema
Gardein Fishless Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Slaw & Chipotle Crema will whisk you away to a beachside cabana.
In Southern California, fish tacos are widely available in taquerias. They’re served in soft corn tortillas, grilled or fried with cabbage slaw, crema, and a lime to squeeze on top.
So while vegan fish tacos weren’t the first thing that came to mind when Gardein released their fishless filets a few years back, it was a close second.
They’re super convenient to grab from the freezer on a busy weeknight, and I love the slightly greasy, crispy batter and the flaky inside texture. It’s not exactly like a real fish filet, but it’s about as close as you’ve experienced.
Fishless tacos are about simplicity, texture, and brightness of flavor. In this recipe, the crunchy, vinegar bite of the cabbage blends nicely with the creamy, spicy chipotle sauce.
A satisfying lunch or dinner that is very easy to make!
Gardein Fishless Tacos
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1-2 Packages Gardein Fishless Filets
- Tortilla Shells
- Chipotle Crema
- 1/2 cup Vegan Mayo
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle In Adobo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw
- 1/2 cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Vegan Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Tightly-Packed Fresh Cilantro
- 1/4 cup Freshly-Squeezed Lime Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 3 Green Onions greens only
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 8 cups Shredded Green & Red Cabbage or coleslaw blend
- Preheat oven 425°F.
- Combine the following coleslaw dressing ingredients; vegan mayonnaise, vegan sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, onion greens, garlic, cumin and salt in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Toss dressing with the coleslaw mix, refrigerate.
- Place Gardein filets on the baking sheet. Sprinkle one side of fillets with half the chili powder and half the cumin(if only using 1 package of filets, only use 1/4 tsp cumin and chili powder per side). Bake 12 minutes. Turn over and sprinkle fillets with remaining chili powder and cumin. Bake another 12 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- While fish baking, blend the chipotle crema ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Warm tortillas shells wrapped in foil during the last 5 minutes while fish baking.
- Assemble fishless tacos with cilantro-lime slaw, sliced fishless filets and drizzled with chipotle crema. Sprinkle with additional lime juice and chopped cilan.
- Additional toppings optional sliced jalapeno, green onions, avocado, mango.