With Sweet Potatoes & Greens
BBQ Portobello Caps are the steaks of the mushroom family. Here is its version as marinated and grilled, yummy!
One of the things I love most about portobello mushrooms is their “meaty” factor. I realize that probably sounds a bit odd because HELLO we are talking about a vegetable, but in kingdom veg, portobello mushrooms are especially satisfying, especially when grilled.
This recipe has a mega advantage over baked portobellos mushroom recipes: NO clean up at the end!
BBQ Portobello Caps
- 4 caps Portabello Mushroom
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Barbeque Sauce
- 2 pounds Sweet Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch Collard Greens
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Peper Flakes
- 2 cloves Garlic sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Place sweet potatoes into a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and cook for 20 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Using a measuring cup, reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the pot and set aside. Drain once cooked. (Instantpot 4 minutes, natural release).
- Cut the thick stem ends off the bunch of collard greens. Stack the greens about 5 leaves high, roll together, and cut into 1 inch thick pieces. Continue for the entire bunch.
- Score the mushrooms in a crisscross pattern with a knife, about 1/4 inch deep. Rub the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Over a preheated medium-high heat grill, place mushrooms top side down. Allow cooking for about 4 to 5 minutes, turning when brown and crisp on top.
- Coat the top with barbeque sauce. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes on the bottom side. (Alternately saute in a skillet over medium-high heat)
- Once mushrooms are cooked, remove from heat and set aside. In a skillet over medium-high with 1 Tbsp olive oil add garlic. Cook for 1 minute then add collard greens and red pepper flakes.
- Sauté collard greens for 3 minutes, tossing to incorporate garlic. Add apple cider vinegar and cook for another 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste. They will be soft and dark green when finished.
- To finish sweet potatoes, add them to a food processor, along with brown sugar and vanilla. Pulse until a smooth mixture forms, adding reserved cooking liquid if necessary(alternately
- Serve sweet potatoes topped with greens and BBQ mushroom caps.