Have you ever tried dry frying? I didn’t believe it would actually work, especially with tofu. But who would’ve thought that frying tofu without a drop of oil could be so delicious.?!
Dry frying is a great way to prepare tofu. It removes the moisture from the tofu, enabling it to soak up the flavors of a marinade or sauce. Rather than the often soggy texture and bland flavor of tofu, you will have created firm sponges that will take on flavors beautifully.
- 1 block Extra-Firm Tofu
- Wrap the tofu in paper towels or cloth towels.
- Optional. sandwiched between two plates and weighted for 30 mins.
- Cut tofu into about 20 square pieces and preheat a wok or cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Fry for 5 mins on each side, but at the 3-minute mark, gently squeeze the water out with a large spatula.
- Repeat with the other side.
- Remove the tofu from the pan. It is now ready to use in your recipe.