With Couscous & Kalamata Olive Sauce
As much as I love grilling vegetables in the summer, I love roasting their winter counterparts even more.
Honesty, I can’t think of a more perfect way to eat my vegetables. Root vegetables were meant to be roasted. The simple process of oven roasting brings out the sweetness in the veggies and really intensifies the flavor
This nutrient dense dish has delicious beets, rainbow carrots and Lacinato kale over couscous. A little olive oil and salt and pepper is all you really need. Give me a bowl of well-prepared vegetables anytime
Roasted Winter Vegetables
- 20 ounces ` Beet
- 4 Carrots
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- 6 ounces Lacinato Kale
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 bunch Chives Fresh
- 1/4 cup Kalamata Olives
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme Leaves Dried
- 1 cup Couscous
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel and cut the beets into 1/2 inch thick sticks. Put them on a baking sheet and toss with 1 tbsp oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast until the beets are tender and browned on the bottoms, 20-25 minutes.
- Cook couscous according to package directions. I used my instant pot with couscous to water 1:2 ratio, for 3 minutes, natural release.
- Peel the carrots and chop them on a diagonal in 1/4-inch thick slices. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the vegan butter. Once butter is melted, add the carrots and cook until tender, tossing occasionally to lightly caramelize both sides, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Rinse and destem the kale and roughly chop the leaves. Thinly slice the garlic. Mince the chives. Chop the olives. Zest about 1 tsp of the lemon peel into a small bowl. Add the chives, chopped olives, vinegar, and 1 tbsp oil to the bowl. Mix well with a fork.
- Once the carrots are tender, add the kale, garlic, and thyme and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the kale turns tender and more green. Squeeze the juice from half of the lemon over the skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the couscous and roasted beets between your plates. Top with the buttery carrots and kale and drizzle the Kalamata olive vinaigrette over the whole dish.