With Crispy Brussel Sprouts & Sundried Tomatoes
This is the best vegan pesto rigatoni – it’s garlicky and completely delicious. Talk about pesto with a kick and no Parmesan cheese required!
You’ll make this recipe in a couple times a month and it’s usually gone within a day or two! The recipe is well-balanced, with the savory and herby elements of garlic and basil, nuttiness from the almonds, and earthiness from the kale. Plus, it only takes a few minutes to throw together
Kale Pesto Rigatoni
- 6 ounces Brussels Sprouts
- 6 ounces Whole Wheat Rigatoni
- 1 bunch Basil Fresh
- 4 ounces Curly Kale
- 2 ounces Scallion Cashew Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Almonds
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chile Flakes
- 1 1/2 ounces Sun-dried Tomatoes
- 9 1/2 teaspoons Olive Oil 3 tbsp + 1/2 tsp
- 1 teaspoon Salt & Pepper To taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F (233 °C). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the rigatoni. Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts and peel off and reserve as many leaves as you can.
- Add the leaves and cores to a baking sheet and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast Brussels until crispy and brown in places, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the whole wheat rigatoni to the boiling water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and drain the pasta. Return rigatoni to the pot off of the heat and stir in 1/2 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Pick the basil leaves. Destem the kale. Add basil leaves, kale leaves, scallion cashew cheese, almonds, garlic, red chile flakes, reserved pasta water, and 2 tbsp olive oil to a food processor. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper and blend pesto until smooth.
- Add most of the roasted Brussels sprouts and sun-dried tomatoes (reserving a small amount for garnish) to the rigatoni in the large pot.
- Add the kale pesto and stir to combine. Return the pot to medium heat and stir the pesto rigatoni until hot, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide pesto rigatoni between large plates or bowls. Top with the reserved sun-dried tomatoes and Brussels sprouts.