From Chicago Diner’s
Hold onto your hats. Today I’m sharing the vegan reuben sandwich recipe from the Chicago Diner cookbook.
If you’ve never been to Chicago Diner you don’t know what your missing. However, if you have, you know their Radical Rueben is their signature dish. This recipe is fresh from their cookbook. It was as delicious as getting it from the Chicago Diner itself.
I hope you’re hungry. You are going to love it!
Corned “Beef” Marinade
- 1 cup Pinkle Juice 237 mL
- 3/4 cup Beet Juice 178 mL
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Caraway Seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Dill Weed Dried
- 1/4 teaspoon Fennel Seed
- 1 dash Dry Ground Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper To taste
- 1 pound Seitan
Thousand Island Sauce
- 1/4 cup Veganaise 56 g
- 3 tablespoons Organic Ketchup 45 mL
- 2 tablespoons Dill Pickles Finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Sliced Yellow Onion 75 g
- 1/4 cup Sliced Red Bell Pepper 38 g
- 1/4 cup Sliced Green Bell Pepper 38 g
- 1 1/3 cups Sauerkraut 303 g
- 8 slices Marble Rye Bread
- 1 pound Seitan Corned “Beef” 454 g
- 1 cup Shredded Vegan Mozzarella Cheese 112 g
Marinade for the Seitan Corned “Beef”
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients together until fully combined.
- Slice 1 pound of seitan thinly. Place it in a large, shallow baking dish. Pour the marinade over the seitan and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients. Set a side.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and peppers and saute for 7 to 9 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the onion and peppers to a medium covered bowl. Set a side.
- Place the sauerkraut in the skillet and return it to the heat. Warm it in the skillet for 5 minutes, until it is warmed through. Remove from the heat and transfer the sauerkraut to a medium bowl. Cover the bowl and set a side.
- Toast the bread. Place the seitan Corned “Beef” in the skillet and return it to the heat. Warm it in the skillet for 5 to 7 minutes, until it is warmed through and a little brown on the edges. Remove from the heat and set a side.
- Place 4 of the toasted bread slices on serving platter. Divide the Seitan Corned “Beef” evenly among the slices.
- Atop each pile of Seitan Corned “Beef,” layer 1/4 of the sauerkraut, the pepper onion mix, the vegan mozzarella cheese, and the Thousand Island Sauce.
- Top each Sandwich half with the remaining 4 slices of bread. Slice each sandwich in half and serve immediately.