With Potato & Leek
Hot and flaky, buttery and salty– that is what these popovers are all about. There is something to be said about freshly baked pastry dough with its melt-in-your-mouth crust. Top that with a sweet potato filling and it creates the perfect creaminess while the onions bring all the flavors together.
These are just the most fun things to make, they are so easy, rise up really well, super crunchy, full of big air pockets. Exactly as they should be, but done without eggs, or gluten!
Potato Leek Popovers
- 1/4 cup Vegan Butter
- 1 Shallot Minced
- 2 Leeks Whites Sliced
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 puonds Russet Potatoes Cubed
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Thyme Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Plant Milk Unsweetened
- 2 rolls Crescent Sheets
- 1 tablespoon Salt & Pepper To taste
- In a small pan, melt 2 tablespoons of vegan butter then add flour. Stire and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in plant milk and tablespoons to boil. Continue to cook for 2 minutes to form a bechamel sauce.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 °F (177 °C).
- Boil potatoes in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain then set aside.
- In sauté pan, melt 2 tablespoons of vegan butter and sauté the shallot and leeks for 6-7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add drained potatoes to the sauté pan, sauté for 3-4 minutes then add dried rosemary and fresh thyme. Add salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a blender, blend bechamel sauce with 1/3 of the potato mixture until smooth.
- Combine contents of the blender with the remaining potato mixture in pan. Add salt to taste.
- Spray large muffin tin cooking spray or use parchment paper. Roll out 1 sheet of pastry then cut into 6 squares.
- Place 1 square of pastry into each muffin space, pressing up sides to cover the entire muffin cup.
- Fill each pastry cup with potato leek filling.
- Using a cookie cutter or a simple jar lid or a bowl to create 6 circles to cover each muffin cup.
- Bake 20 minutes until golden brown,