The best simple one bowl Betty Crocker’s Banana Bread…Veganized! This healthier Betty Crocker’s Banana Bread…Veganized is oil-free when made with vegan butter and studded with walnuts.
It has that classic shiny outer crust and soft interior. A slice is perfect for breakfast, brunch or an after-school snack. I wanted this recipe to taste like the classic recipe.
Vegan baking can be a little bit like Goldilocks in the classic fairy tale. Home cooks can find one recipe to be too dry, the next too moist; another one can be too sweet, but the next is not sweet enough.
Happy ending alert: This Betty Crocker’s Banana Bread…Veganized recipe is “just right” in every way.
Betty Crocker’s Banana Bread…Veganized
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter softened
- 2 tablespoon Ground Flax Seed
- 1.5 cups Mashed Very Ripe Bananas 3 to 4 medium
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Chopped Walnuts optional
- Combine ground flax seeds with 5 Tbsp water, set aside. Add white vinegar to plant milk to create buttermilk, set aside.
- Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in the center of the oven. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom of the loaf pan.
- Mix sugar and butter in a large bowl. Stir flax eggs, bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into pan or pans.
- Bake loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove and place top side up on wire rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.