Everyone loves a good chowder, but they can often be a lot of work and a little too heavy- we so we’d love to offer a compromise: hearty, sweet corn, mixed into a creamy blend of quinoa and vegetables.
This is a vegan take on Crab and Corn Chowder. I used jackfruit to make this amazing vegan corn chowder recipe. Its hearty, warming and delicious. There is a nice spice kick to it!
Oh, the things we can do with a can of jackfruit. This time I used it to make a veganized version of a classic I’ve been enjoying for years.
I am so excited about it, mainly because it turned out so much better than I imagined. I have been slow to warm up to jackfruit, but, I truly embrace it in this recipe.
Jackfruit, Corn & Potato Chowder
- 1 can Jackfruit 20 oz
- 3 – 4 Ears Fresh Corn
- 2 pounds Russet Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped
- 4 1/4 cups Chicken Flavored Vegetable Broth vegetable broth
- 1 cup Unflavored Plant Milk
- 1 Sweet Pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dehydrated Poultry Seasoning 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Pepper Flakes optional
- Preheat oven @400°F. Drain and rinse Jackfruit then pat dry. Rinsing the jackfruit well is important to remove brine taste. Chop jackfruit up a little.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat with a tsp of oil, saute jackfruit, poultry seasoning and a pinch of salt just long enough to release aromatics, approximately 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup broth, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. With a potato masher, mash jackfruit until shredded consistency achieved. Remove from pan onto the baking sheet, then bake 20 minutes; set aside.
- While jackfruit is baking place onion, potatoes, corn and remaining 4 cups broth in the stockpot. Heat to boiling, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove corn from stockpot. Cut the kernels of corn from the cob. Return kernels from one cob of corn to stockpot. Add chili pepper flakes. Blend until smooth with an immersion blender(alternately use countertop blender). Stir in plant milk.
- Return the rest of the corn kernels to the pot along with, jackfruit and sweet peppers. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return to stove over medium-low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with additional chili flakes and serve with crusty bread.